O.K. here’s the original image . . .
The problem was that the iPod Touch cam selected the “background” as the point of focus, and the tomatoes that I wanted to be in focus ended up blurred . . . out-of-focus. So, I decided to use the Pixlr-o-matic app and get rid of the sharp background . . . I chose a scratchy option to degrade the background . . . like “even out” the blurred foreground and then added a funky “frame” . . . I got an image that was O.K. . . . yeh it was good enough for Instagram or Pinterest but but what a waste . . .
So methinks, too make this “pop” I gotta do something . . . and I dumped the original image into PhotoForge 2 made the color image a black and white continuous tone positive . . . ramped the contrast and then used the ToonCamera app to get a high contrast line image . . . et voila !! High contrast line image without a process camera . . .
Combined the high contrast image with the scratchy color image using the Doublexposure Pro app and got the following result . . . a muddy low contrast photo . . .
I stuck the above pic in PhotoForge 2 ramped the contrast did a bit of exposure and saturation manipulation and the result was the image posted earlier . . .
All the above was previsualized or “prevised” as Ansel Adams used to say.
For me, when I saw the out-of-focus tomatoes, I knew what I needed to do . . . it’s like dodging and burning a negative to expose and create an exhibition quality print . . .,knowing what enlarging paper and paper contrast to use for the final image. It’s an intuitive no-thought process resulting from 20 years in a real darkroom
Agfa Brovira, Kodak Polycontrast . . . and that’s just the beginning.